Monday, May 20, 2013

One Day At A Time

For more than a week now, I have been surrounded by my grandma and my mom. The connection we possess ties us together, yet at the same time I sense the line of separation. I guess, it is a natural progression of life where, we children continue where our preceding generations left off. As much as I feel in touch with them, there are times when I seek my own seclusion to paraphrase it all. I realized that I learnt to enjoy my own company and sometimes it is all right to spend some time of ascetic nature.
Yesterday, I went for a run on the beach. Jogging alone is still not introduced in our culture because sports are supposed to be communal and executed in groups. Well, I was the only one running around and I really attracted the eyes of locals and older tourists. It is still quite calm here as not many people make their way to the coast this time of the year. Generally, one can only see older couples from northern European countries taking the advantage of quietness. Although, I am learning to enjoy it myself, I miss the presence of loud crowds and the entertainment that comes with summer. For now, I come across the locals that inhabit this little town. Cafes are empty and workers patiently sit while awaiting busy season.
Currently, Croatia is preparing itself for the entry in the European Union. It will be the second nation after Slovenia from former Yugoslavian republics, that will attain the membership. The feelings and perception of this act is mixed. Some are scared of rising already high cost of living, while others await the monetary aid that will hopefully improve some sectors of economy. Strikes by transportation industries are taking place as of right now. They are taking the advantage before the entry into the EU to point out their grievances. The airport in Zagreb is left desolate as workers refuse to work. Hopefully, the situation will patch itself up in following days because my mom needs to go back to the States and Amber will be on her way soon. Those are personal reasons on my part that I wish they resolve the situation adequately and rapidly. However, the longterm satisfaction of those individuals that are striking is far from realization. Instant gratification and patching up seem to be a recurring theme in our modern world. We will see how far it will take us. Those temporary fixes carry temporary results. For the time being, this has to do.
Being here and living a simple existence made me realize that our lives are composed of days we spend and it should be seen in bits and pieces. Sometimes, we get carried away in searching for a bigger picture to sum it up all. Occasionally, I catch myself thinking about worries that I do not have and how normal life filled with work, bills and everyday nuisances seems so far away. How nice it would be to live as I live right now for the rest of my life!? People are so consumed with a need for a structure because they fail to create it on their own. Perhaps, only when one goes through the structured life it is possible to genuinely enjoy the randomness and simplicity. I have done this before, left for months at the time, but the perspective that I have now only enhances the experience and differs immensely. Nelson Mandela said it best: "There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered."

2 comments:

  1. love the quote! definitely rings true

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quote too!! the more I read your blog the more I am convinced you should get into journalism or write books! lol

    ReplyDelete